Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Seminar: 1:00 - 4:30 PM
Hors D'oeuvres and Networking: 4:30-5:30 PM
John J. Scroggin, J.D., LL.M.
Scroggin & Company, Roswell, GA 30075
“What Dead Celebrities can Teach us about Estate Planning.”It is intriguing how estate planning mistakes are often replicated and exaggerated in celebrity estates. This presentation discusses the mistakes in the estate planning of a number of celebrities and provides practical insights on how these mistakes illustrate ways that you can improve your average client’s estate planning. A few examples:
(1) Robin Williams and conflicts over personal property
(2) Chris Benoit, intestacy and how order of death matters
(3) Leona Helmsley and ruling from the grave with a CRUT
(4) Sumner Redstone and properly planning for incapacity
(5) Michael Jackson and the taxable value of a post-death Persona
(6) Prince and the potential inheritance of a child he never knew
“Why Children Should be more Concerned about their New Step-Parent, then the Tax Collector.”While only 0.2% of all estates are subject to federal estate taxes, a more significant portion of the population is entering into second and third marriages. According to a University of California study, 61% of widowers are engaged in a new romantic relationship within 25 months of their wife’s death, while only 19% of the widows had a new relationship. 20% of men in second marriages marry someone who is at least ten years younger than them. Dad’s marriage to a woman 10 years his junior has created heartburn for many children who have been anticipating a larger and quicker inheritance. This presentation will discuss the rights immediately acquired by a new spouse and how those rights can be limited.
- The presentation will be two programs of 90 minutes each and 3 continuing education credits will be applied for CPA, CFP, PA Insurance, Attorney, CTFA
Applications have been submitted for
3.0 Credit Hours CPA, CFP, PA Insurance, Attorney, CTFA
Platinum Sponsors - Full Year Sponsors
Click on Logo for website link or here for contact information on our sponsors page.
Brian M. Nimmo
First Trust Portfolios, L.P.
Vice President, Structured Investments
Direct: 412.720.9240, email@example.com
Bill J. Thomas, CLU, Affinity Consultant
2600 Commerce Drive, Harrisburg, PA 17110
Local: 717-540-3720 ext 250
National: 800-769-1847 ext 250